Friday, April 4, 2014

50 more shades of green

This is a continuation of 50 shades of green. Read that first if you want to know what this is about.


So I finally reached a hundred day GitHub streak!

Since I already rambled about GitHub, commit streaks, time management, and a bunch of other things in the previous post, I'll just use this post to list what new projects I started working on in the latter 50 days:

  • Servo, Mozilla's new browser* in Rust. Rather fun project to work on, there is a lot of scope for making an impact on the project since a lot of the core features are yet unimplemented. Additionally, it has a tight-knit community.
  • SE-CitationHelper: A citation helper for Stack Exchange, based on this meta request. This was actually paid work, since I don't have the time to commit to a project like that.
  • ElectionPortal: A way to quickly hold elections and polls with LDAP authentication and filtering.
  • MathToTeX: My parser for converting typed math into LaTeX. This already existed, but was a sub-repo elsewhere. I plan to reorganize this repo and then start work on rewriting the algorithm to be more extensible. 
  • Blaze: Under the Charcoal group. This project is for monitoring new posts on a medium-activity Stack Exchange site.
  • I also forked 2048 to add the ability to save one's present state. This is on a fork and doesn't count in the activity punchcard.
In addition I continued work on most of the repos mentioned in the previous post.


I was less active than the first 50 days, I had academic commitments, extracurriculars, and more recently went to Kolkata and Kharagpur for a Mozilla event. Once the summer starts I expect to be pushing more dark greens :)

I also had to tweak the rules a bit from last time. Since I was working on Servo and rebasing code often, there were days when I did commit code but the commit was eventually moved around or left to rot in a fork. Neither of these count in the activity punchcard -- so for these days only, I've allowed pull requests / readme edits to count. I think there are two days like this.

Let's see how far I can take it from here!


* To be precise, it's a layout engine, not a browser. A layout engine (eg Gecko) handles most of the core magic that makes a browser work -- parsing and displaying HTML, and interacting with JavaScript. Browser features like tabbing and preferences and bookmarks are not a part of Servo, while it can be used (when it's stable enough) to browse the Internet, it's meant to be plugged into a browser if you want these features.